Roadmap to 2017, a draft

Hello @hoackers and everyone else!

This post is more or less a pre-announcement. I have started to define the Hoa roadmap for 2017, taking the form of a set of RFC. The Central repository will host these RFC. A new request for comment label has been created to classify them. Concretely, I have created a new milestone to track this roadmap.

So far, here is the global RFC:

Only the RFC about Hoa\Option has ben drafted so far. Other will come. I am planning to write them these following days.

The main goal of this roadmap is to increase Hoa’s quality and safety. People are using our projects, this is cool, we do not suffer from big issues (except the documentation maybe, we can create another RFC to have more hack book chapters… [done]), so I would like to prepare the future. The future of PHP is uncertain, but we might have better types, maybe async intrinsics… People are more and more dealing with a lot of dependencies, we see issues about: “I have this project, and Hoa is failing overthere, why?”. If we provide tools to explain errors, to analyse/track what happened, we could potentially reduce the amount of these issues. The relation between a new user and Hoa can be better too: “Wow, the devtools are really great, I am efficient with this”, even this is a not a direct users (most of our users are indirect, they are using a project that is using Hoa, so the user experience is crucial here).

Another goal of this roadmap is performance. I would like to provide extremely fast and efficient libraries. The enhanced Hoa\Iterator API will be a big part of this work, it will help to reduce the amount of memory allocations and manipulations. Hoa\Future (might replace Hoa\Promise, we will discuss about it in the RFC) might replace several allocations and branch decisions in Hoa\Socket, and so Hoa\Websocket & co.

Finally, API documentation. This is a big topic. I really love what Rust does at this level. I would like to mimic it, and to provide a new API format, still compatible with all IDE.

This is, dear fellow Hoa citizens, the roadmap for 2017. Are you exciting about? Do you think it goes in the correct direction regarding our situation? What do you think about this new format (I think having RFC will provide natural subjects for the monthly Hoa Virtual Meeting)?

Cheers!

1 Like

The RFC New library: Hoa\Option has been written.

The RFC Better errors with codes and hoa explain has been written.

The RFC Define commit type, and enhance the CHANGELOG format has been written.

The RFC Online API browser has been written.

The RFC API documentation v2 has been written.

The RFC New library: Hoa\Option has moved from “backlog” to “ready”.

The RFC Simplify getter naming, introduce data conversion naming has been written.

The RFC Enhanced Hoa\Iterator API has been written.

The RFC Compile API documentation examples in executable tests has been written.

This roadmap is really awesome, I’ll be glad to work on it :smile:! Also the RFC format is very clear and helps a lot to understand all the aspects of the proposals…

1 Like

The RFC Compile API documentation examples in executable tests has moved from “backlog” to “ready”.

The RFC Compile API documentation examples in executable tests has moved from “ready” to “in progress”.

The RFC Simplify getter naming, introduce data conversion naming has moved from “backlog” to “ready”.

The RFC Compile API documentation examples in executable tests has been implemented :heart:! Congrats everyone :tada:!

1 Like